SDG 4 - Quality education
Access to education
Obtaining a quality education is the first steppingstone towards creating sustainable development. Today, education increasingly depends on electronic devices such as mobile phones, laptops or computers, which are often also connected to the internet. All of them are underpinned by IEC work.
40 IEC TC/SCs and 2 IEC CA Systems contribute to SDG 4.
IEC for SDGs
IEC work addresses topics related to education
Data storage systems
Computer hardware and software
IEC work directly impacts the following SDG target
4.A Build and upgrade education facilities, and inclusive and effective learning environments for all, with access to electricity, the Internet, computers, etc.
The IEC provides the technical foundation for electricity and internet access as well as for electrical and electronic hardware such as computers, routers, video, radio, mobile phones, etc. that support effective learning environments.
- IEC TC 34 and 4 SCs: Lamps and related equipment;
- IEC TC 46 and 3 SCs: Cables, wires, waveguides, RF connectors, RF and microwave passive components and accessories;
- IEC TC 86 and 3 SCs: Fibre optics;
- IEC TC 100: Audio, video and multimedia systems and equipment;
- IEC TC 103: Equipment for radio communication;
- IEC TC 110: Electronic display devices;
- ISO/IEC JTC 1 and 22 SCs: Information technology, in particular, ISO/IEC JTC1/ SC 36: Information technology for learning, education, and training;
- IECEE (IEC System of Conformity Assessment Schemes for Electrotechnical Equipment and Components); IECQ (IEC Quality Assessment System for Electronic Components).
End poverty and hunger. Achieve food security and promote sustainable agriculture
Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all
Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
Promote inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
Reduce inequality within and among countries
Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
Conserve and sustainably use ocean, sea and marine resources
Promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, halt and reverse land degradation and biodiversity loss
Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable institutions at all levels
Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development