Circuit-breakers and similar equipment for household use
SC 23E Scope
To prepare and to update standards for:
- residual current devices for monitoring the conditions of insulation of domestic and similar installations,
- circuit-breakers for equipment of rated currents not exceeding 125 A and rated voltages not exceeding 440 V designed to protect equipment for use in domestic and similar installations,
- electromechanical contactors for household and similar purposes,
- control and protection devices for battery-powered vehicle supplies,
- arc fault detection devices (AFDD) of rated currents not exceeding 63 A and rated voltages not exceeding 240 V a.c. for household and similar uses.
The standards concern devices intended to be used by ordinary persons in installations or equipment not subject to maintenance and contain all specifications necessary for certification purposes: sets of samples to be submitted, test sequences to be applied and conditions for approval.
They shall also include all specifications necessary for certification purposes concerning the groups of samples, the tests sequences each group shall be submitted and the number of failures admitted.
In working out such standards and according to the guidelines given by the SMB, close coordination is being kept continuously with SC 121A, dealing with the standards for low voltage switchgear and controlgear mainly intended to be used by instructed persons in installations subject to supervision and maintenance (In particular SC 121A is the leader for the preparation of standards for circuit breaker, whilst SC 23E is the leader for the preparation of standards for RCDs).
The work of the subcommittees takes into account the specifications prepared by TC 109, SC 77A and by TC 64. An official liaison with CTL has been established by nominating a liaison member who is also member of the parallel WG in the CTL organization SC 23E has Group Safety Function for: Residual Current Devices (RCDs) Definition of Residual Current Devices taken from IEC 60755 a residual current device is a mechanical switching device designed to make, carry and break currents under normal service conditions and to cause the opening of the contacts when the residual current attains a given value under specified conditions
|SC 23E Officers|