Secondary cells and batteries
TC 21 Scope
To provide standards for all types of secondary i.e. rechargeable cells and batteries as related to their chemistry, product dimensions, marking and performances, the intrinsic safety of the design, the qualification tests for selected applications and the safety rules for installation, operation,
maintenance and disposal.
The main areas of application of such batteries are:
• Automotive for SLI (starting, lightning, ignition) and Start/Stop duty in cars, trucks, motorcycles and similar equipment
• Industrial for traction power supply to forklift trucks and similar vehicles
• Industrial for emergency power supply duty to telecom and data networks as also for emergency lighting and power backup for vital civil, industrial and military infrastructure
• Propulsion power supply to personal transport means such as Electrical Vehicles (EV), hybrid vehicles, golf carts, electric bikes and similar
• Portable power supply to handheld equipment and devices
• Propulsion, backup power supply and engine starting to railways, ships, aircraft and similar
• Storage of energy from renewable sources both in islanded and grid-connected installations (Battery Energy Storage Systems or BESS)
In case of large grid integrated electrical storage system (EES) covered by TC 120, the scope of TC 21 ends at the interface between the electrical energy storage device (the battery or electrochemical accumulation subsystem) and the rest of the Energy storage system.
All commercially maturing or matured electrochemical energy storage technologies and batteries made thereof, such as Lead-acid, Nickel-Cadmium, Nickel-Metal hydride, Lithium-ion as also specialized ones such as Na-S (Sodium-Sulphur), Na-NiCl (Sodium-nickel chloride) High temperature couples and assorted Flow-Batteries are included in the scope of the technical committee and subcommittee.
The work is shared between TC 21 and its subcommittee SC 21A based on historically grown and
agreed-upon division of task areas.
TC 21 and SC 21A (depending on the field covered) are cooperating, for standardization of applications and system integration standards, with the responsible committees, TC 8, TC 9, TC 34, TC 69, TC 82, TC 105, TC 116, TC 120, ISO/TC 114, ISO/TC 333 and ISO TC 22/SC37.
|TC 21 Officers|
Strategic Business Plan