About the Affiliate Countries Programme
The Affiliate Country Programme reaches out to developing countries, giving them the opportunity to be involved (or take part in) IEC activities without becoming members. Countries participating in the programme benefit from free IEC International Standards in view of national adoption.
- Enhance awareness and use of IEC International Standards in developing countries
- Help those countries understand and participate in the work of the IEC
- Facilitate the adoption of IEC International Standards as national standards
Affiliates will be able to use relevant IEC International Standards and learn how to monitor relevant working documents, thereby taking a step-by-step approach to establishing an IEC NEC (National Electrotechnical Committee), if and when appropriate. Affiliate Countries are strongly encouraged to establish their NEC and will receive guidance from the Affiliate Secretariat if necessary.
An invitation letter is sent to any country interested in joining the Affiliate Country Programme.
Benefits of participation in the IEC Affiliate Country Programme:
- Access to IEC technical documents in electronic format;
- Selection of 200 free International Standards (tailored to Affiliate's immediate needs and/or relevant domestic industries); and significant discount on any other additional standards;
- Adoption of these 200 IEC International Standards as national standards free from any commercial consideration;
- Attendance at meetings held during the IEC General Meeting including Council Statutory session (as observers);
- Guidance to participate in IEC’s three Conformity Assessment Systems;
- Assistance from IEC Central Office on how to establish a National Electrotechnical Committee and how to track technical projects of interest;
- No participation fee.
Affiliates benefit from the IEC electronic environment
The IEC today conducts all of its day-to-day business electronically, making use of the latest information technologies available to improve efficiency and reduce costs. Participants in the IEC Affiliate Country Programme will learn how to use all IT tools developed for the IEC Members and experts.
How to become an IEC Affiliate Country?
Developing countries can join the IEC Affiliate Country Programme on invitation by the IEC General Secretary, following the instructions below:
- Sign the Affiliate Pledge and return it to the IEC Affiliate Country Programme Secretariat for countersigning.
- Following participation approval, the Affiliate will be contacted by the Affiliate Secretariat, with details of how the organization can immediately benefit from the Programme.
List of participating countries with their contacts, and feedback on their participation.
Information about the Affiliate Country Programme, its objectives and benefits
Information about the levels of participation in the programme
The role of the Affiliate Leader and an overview of the Messages and Dialogues to the affiliate community
About national standards adoptions, participation in IEC work and Affiliate Plus countries
Details on the benefits of adopting international standards
Information about the Affiliate Conformity Assessment Status (ACAS)
Information about the forum and workshops organized for affiliate countries
Participation in the annual IEC General Meeting and its associated meetings
An overview of the development process of a new IEC International Standard
In this section, you can find more information about how the IEC is organized
Access to the photos available from previous IEC General Meetings
Key contacts at the IEC Central Office supporting the Affiliate Country Programme