SMB/CAG proposal on IEC and IEEE referencing
SMB decided to set up an ahG 74, Dual referencing and profiles, to make proposals on the issue of dual referencing. This occurs when normative referencing to multiple alternative documents is made. The ahG is requested to provide the SMB with a list of possible options to deal with technological and/or regional profiles and to report back by SMB meeting 160 in Vladivostok in October 2017.
(SMB Decision 158/3)
SEG 8, Communications Technologies and Architectures of Electrotechnical Systems
In accordance with the recommendations given in the report, SMB/6032/R, of SG 9, Communication technologies, SMB agreed to set up SEG 8, Communication Technologies and Architectures of Electrotechnical Systems, with the tasks:
- Assess, provide an overview and prioritization of the evolution of technical development and standardization in the field of communication technologies and architectures.
- Develop a sustainable process for incorporating communication technologies into relevant IEC committees.
(SMB Decision 158/7)
SEG 9, Smart Home/Office Building Systems
In accordance with the recommendations in SMB/6030/R, given by ahG 66, SMB agreed to set up SEG 9, Smart Home/Office Building Systems, with the tasks:
- Evaluate technology trends and market evolution trends.
- Review the inventory of existing standards and standardization projects within the IEC and external to the IEC, and advise the SMB where duplication of activity and potential dilution of technical resources is occurring.
- Evaluate and prioritize gaps in standardization.
- Recommend to the SMB the structure most appropriate for standardization of Smart Home/Office Building Systems.
SMB appointed Mr Kim Craig (AU) as Convenor of SEG 9.
(SMB Decision 158/10)
MSB White Paper on the Internet of Things (IoT)
SMB, noting the proliferation of groups dealing with the subject of IoT, and in particular the setting-up of JTC 1/SC 41, decided to refer the MSB White Paper on IoT to SEG 8, Communication Technologies and Architectures of Electrotechnical Systems, in the first instance, to consider the recommendations in the MSB White Paper.
(SMB Decision 158/8)
MSB White Paper on Global Energy Interconnection (GEI)
SMB noted that ACTAD, Advisory Committee on Transmission and Distribution, had proposed taking over the recommendations made in the MSB White Paper on GEI. SMB agreed that ACTAD be tasked with reviewing the MSB White Paper on GEI and making recommendations to SMB on what work is needed and whether the current scope of ACTAD needs to be revised. SMB charged ACTAD with thoroughly reviewing the contents and recommendations of the MSB White Paper.
(SMB Decision 158/9)
Conformity Assessment/Standards Guidance
SMB agreed that the content of the document SMB/6062/R prepared by the joint SMB/CAB ahG be placed in the Resource Area for TC/SCs on the IEC website, where it could be consulted as needed by the TC/SCs.
(SMB Decision 158/13)
Translations of CDV and FDIS
SMB decided to leave the existing process unchanged, allowing 6 weeks for translation at the CDV stage and no time for translation at the FDIS stage.
In 3 years’ time, at SMB meeting 167, SMB will remove all times for translations, and publish translations of both drafts and final publications if, and when, these become available, on condition that the translation technology permits this action of removal of translation times.
Central Office, in consultation with relevant NCs, will continuously review and report the status of translation technologies.
(SMB Decision 158/14)
Novel ways of working with consortia
SMB agreed to set up ahG 75, Working with consortia, with the objective of taking the findings made in the report, SMB/6037/INF, prepared by staff from Central Office and further develop them as recommendations for SMB, with an emphasis on practical steps for dealing with consortia.
The ahG should also address options for the mid- to long-term activities of the IEC.
The ahG is invited to report back at SMB meeting 160 in Vladivostok in October 2017.
Convenor: Mr Thomas Korssell (SE).
(SMB Decision 158/24)
New SyC on LVDC and LVDC for Electricity Access
SMB noted that the proposal for a new SyC on LVDC and LVDC for Electricity Access had been approved (C/2008/RV).
SMB, noting that a single proposal for the Chair of the SyC had been received, appointed Mr Vimal Mahendru (IN) as Chair of the SyC for an initial 3-year period.
(SMB Decision 158/4)
New TC on Wearable Electronic Devices and Technologies
SMB noted that the proposal, C/1998/DV, for a new TC 124, Wearable Electronic Devices and Technologies, had been approved, with the following provisional scope:
Standardization in the field of wearable electronic devices and technologies which include patchable materials and devices, implantable materials and devices, edible materials and devices, and electronic textile materials and devices.
Excluded: Standardization for specific items in the field of the following IEC TCs: TC 47, TC 62, TC 100, TC 108, TC 110, TC 119, SyC AAL and relevant areas of JTC 1.
SMB assigned the secretariat of TC 124 to Korea.
(SMB Decision 158/16)
Review of TC/SC Statistics
SMB took the following decisions concerning the organization of TC/SCs:
1. For TC 5, Steam turbines, wait for a secretariat to be assigned and instruct the secretariat to prepare a proposal for activities in TC 5 and to ensure that all activities currently in progress are made visible on the work programme. This information is vital to present the activities of the TC. The secretariat shall report back to SMB for meeting 160 in October 2017 in Vladivostok.
2. For TC 28, Insulation coordination, to merge into TC 99, System engineering and erection of electrical power installations in systems with nominal voltages above 1 kV a.c. and 1,5 kV d.c., particularly concerning safety aspects.
3. For TC 70, Degrees of protection provided by enclosures, put into standby by 2017-06-01 unless some activity is undertaken by then.
4. For TC 73, Short-circuit currents, put into standby.
5. For TC 99, System engineering and erection of electrical power installations in systems with nominal voltages above 1 kV a.c. and 1,5 kV d.c., particularly concerning safety aspects, is requested to include the activities of TC 28 and revise its structure accordingly, including scope, SBP, work programme etc.
6. For SC 59A, Electric dishwashers, SC 59C, Heating appliances, SC 59M, Performance of electrical household and similar cooling and freezing appliances, SMB instructed TC 59 to carry out a complete review of its structure, in particular its SCs, to ensure an optimum use of resources. TC 59 is requested to report back to SMB meeting 160 in October 2017.
7. In addition, ACTAD is tasked with making proposals for an optimum structure of HV activity, including consultation with all TCs and SyCs concerned, taking into account relevant parts of this decision. ACTAD is requested to report back to SMB meeting 161 in February 2018.
(SMB Decision 158/20)
SMB approved 32 TC/SC reports, including SBPs by correspondence before the SMB meeting. The SMB noted that TC 9 (FR), TC 20 (DE), TC 42 (CA), TC 44 (UK), TC 57 (DE), TC 62 (DE), TC 69 (BE), TC 76 (US) and TC 117 (ES) had failed to submit the TC reports (RSMB) on time and invited the NCs concerned (holding the secretariat of the listed TCs) to investigate.
Note: after investigation it appeared that the TC 9 report had been submitted on time.
(SMB Decision 158/2 and 158/19)
ISO/IEC JTC 1 Resolutions
SMB reviewed a number of resolutions taken by JTC 1.
With respect to the resolution on SC Chair limits, SMB noted the compromise solution proposed by the secretariat of JTC 1/SC 27 (DIN) relating to the Chair of that SC. SMB expects all JTC 1 SCs to comply with the requirements on Chair limits and no further exceptions to be given.
With respect to the approval of NPs with less than the required number of P-members, SMB agreed that these deviations be granted on a case-by-case basis only and that no blanket deviation be granted, as per the ISO/IEC Directives.
With respect to Resolution 14 on publication of corrigenda and amendments, SMB did not approve this as it is not a matter for JDMT, but is a matter for the IEC General Secretary (and ISO Secretary General).
(SMB Decision 158/21)
SEG 6, Decentralized Energy Systems
SMB approved the recommendation made by SEG 6 for TC 8, Systems Aspects for Electrical Energy Supply, to set up a subcommittee on Decentralized Energy Systems.
(SMB Decision 158/5)
Presentation from TC 100
Mr Tadashi Ezaki, former Secretary TC 100, gave a presentation on the activities of TC 100,Audio, video and multimedia systems and equipment.(SMB/6079/INF)
(SMB Decision 158/17)
Presentation from TC 108
Mr Jos Remy, Vice-Chair TC 108, gave a presentation on the activities of TC 108, Safety of electronic equipment within the field of audio/video, information technology and communication technology. (SMB/6078/INF)
(SMB Decision 158/18)
Presentation from IEEE
(SMB Decision 158/22)
Presentation from the Mexican NC
Mr Carlos Perez Munguia, Mexican SMB member, gave a presentation on the structure and work of the Mexican National Committee. SMB appreciated the outstanding hosting of this meeting by the National Committee and thanked it for all its efforts. (SMB/6081/INF)
(SMB Decision 158/23)
SMB confirmed the date and place of meetings listed below.
Dates and places for 2017
2017-06-11 - Sunday CAG meeting (Geneva)
2017-06-12 - Monday (Geneva)
2017-10-07 - Saturday CAG meeting (Vladivostok)
2017-10-09 - Monday (Vladivostok, Russia - General Meeting)
Dates and places for 2018
2018-02-12 - Monday CAG meeting (Geneva)
2018-02-13 - Tuesday (Geneva)
2018-06-11 - Monday CAG meeting (Geneva)
2018-06-12 - Tuesday (Geneva)
2018-10-20 - Saturday CAG meeting (Busan, KR)
2018-10-22 - Monday (Busan, KR - General Meeting)
Dates and places for 2019
2019-02-18 - Monday CAG meeting (tbc)
2019-02-19 - Tuesday (tbc)
2019-06-16 - Sunday CAG meeting (Geneva)
2019-06-17 - Monday (Geneva)
2019-10-19 - Saturday CAG meeting (Shanghai, CN)
2019-10-21 - Monday (Shanghai, CN - General Meeting)