Chairmen of technical committees shall be nominated by the secretariat of the technical committee and appointed by the Standardization Management Board (SMB), for a maximum period of 6 years or for such shorter period as may be appropriate. Extensions, of a maximum of 3 years, require a 2/3 majority vote of the Standardization Management Board members.
Chairmen of subcommittees shall be nominated by the secretariat of the subcommittee and appointed by the technical committee for a maximum period of 6 years or for such shorter period as may be appropriate. Extensions, of a maximum of 3 years, require a 2/3 majority vote of the P-members of the technical committee.
The possibility of appointing as chairman a national of a country other than that of the secretariat is recommended.
Twelve months before the end of the term of office of a TC/SC chairman, Central Office requests the TC/SC secretariat to indicate whether it wishes to nominate another candidate as chairman or extend the term of office of the current chairman. For the appointment of chairmen and extension of their term of office, the following procedure is applied:
- All National Committees are informed of the vacancy and invited to submit nominations to the secretariat within a period of 3 months.
- The secretariat chooses a single candidate from the nominations received from National Committees.
- The nomination is submitted, in the case of a TC chairman to the Standardization Management Board and, in the case of a SC chairman to the P members of the technical committee, for approval within 6 weeks.
- Any objections to the extension submitted by the SMB members or by the P members during the voting period shall be distributed immediately to the other members.
- If the nomination is not supported by either a 2/3 majority of the SMB members in the case of a TC or by a 2/3 majority of TC P members in the case of a SC, the procedure shall be repeated.