Drafting IEC publications
Tracking changes in a document
What is change tracking?
When working on a CDV document, the IEC editors track all changes that could have an impact on document structure or contents. Grammar, spelling and punctuation corrections will usually not be tracked.
Tracking changes allows the authors of a document to see what the editor has modified, highlighted in different colours. Authors can then review these changes and accept or decline them one by one.
Turning change tracking on and off
To start or stop tracking changes in a document, the Track changes option is turned on and off as follows:
- Word 2010/2007: Review > Track changes
- Word 2003/before: Tools > Track changes
Displaying changes and comments
When you open a document containing tracked changes, you will see changes (insertions and deletions) and comments displayed in different colours, either within the document text itself or in balloons in the document margin.
You can adapt the way changes and comments are displayed in the Track Changes options. To access the Track Changes options:
- Word 2010/2007: Review, then click on the arrow next to Track Changes
- Word 2003/before: Tools > Options > Track Changes tab
You can choose between the balloon display (changes and comments are displayed in an extra margin next to the text) and the normal display (changes are marked up in the text, comments can be seen when hovering the mouse over the comment insertion place). To see all changes and comments in the margin:
- Word 2010/2007: after Use balloons (Print and Web layout), select Always
- Word 2003/before: check Use balloons in Print and Web layout
Note: Balloon display is available in the Print layout view, but not in the Draft view.
Reviewing changes and comments
To review changes in a document, position the cursor at the beginning of the document, then:
- Word 2010/2007: in the Review tab, click on Next in the Changes section. The first change will be highlighted. Either accept or reject it by clicking on the respective button. Repeat these steps until you have dealt with all changes.
- Word 2003/before: Ensure the Reviewing toolbar is displayed - it can be enabled under View > Toolbars > Reviewing. Then click on the forward-facing arrow. The first change will be highlighted. Either accept or reject it by clicking on the respective button (accept: blue checkmark; reject: red cross). Repeat these steps until you have dealt with all changes.