Strong IECQ presence in Asia-Pacific
An LED (Light-Emitting Diode) is basically a semiconductor light source. LEDs, primarily used as indicator lamps in many devices, are increasingly used for industrial, commercial, residential and domestic lighting. The market for LEDs is large, growing fast and is dominated by Asian manufacturers from China, Japan, Korea and Taiwan.
Today’s LEDs are made from a variety of inorganic semiconductor materials and come in many colours – from infrared to red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet and ultraviolet – and in a wide range of wavelengths and voltages.
Advantages and applications
LEDs present many advantages over incandescent light sources, including lower energy consumption, longer lifetime, improved robustness, smaller size and faster switching. They are gaining in popularity and are used in applications as diverse as indoor and outdoor illuminations and displays and as replacements for aviation lighting. They are also found in automotive lighting including brake lamps, turn signals and indicators, as well as in traffic signals. LEDs are used in a wide range of lighting devices, from light bulbs to reading lamps, floodlights, security lights, motion detecting lights and so forth. Infrared LEDs can be found in the remote control units of many consumer goods including televisions and DVD players.
Asia-Pacific is IECQ stronghold
For manufacturers and suppliers of LEDs and other electronic devices, it is essential that the components they use are of the highest quality and reliability. This is why, in the Asia-Pacific region, as in the rest of the world, IECQ certification has become an integral part of the whole manufacturing process. IECQ is the IEC Quality Assessment System for Electronic Components.
Over the years, IECQ component certification has been widely accepted by international component manufacturing companies competing in the global market. And with the launch of the IECQ HSPM (Hazardous Substances Process Management) Scheme in 2005, IECQ has become a household name. As the primary source of electrical and electronic components worldwide, manufacturers in the Asia-Pacific region have embraced IECQ HSPM, as well as other IECQ certifications, to ensure the high quality and reliability of their components and to demonstrate their commitment to the restriction of hazardous substances in consumer products.
Showcase for IECQ
For many years, IECQ has been showcased at two leading events:
- electronica in Germany, where IECQ is invited and hosted by the VDE Certification and Testing Institute, one of the long standing IECQ Certification Bodies. VDE and IECQ will again join forces and participate in the 2012 electronica show
- TAITRONICS (Taipei International Electronics Show), through the efforts of ECC Corporation (the US Member Body of the IECQ) and its Chinese Taipei representative, CTECCB (Chinese Taipei Electronic Components Certification Board)
TAITRONICS is one of the most important electronics shows, attracting hundreds of manufacturers and suppliers not only from Asia but also from the rest of the world. It presents a great opportunity for IECQ to network and meet with professionals who have placed their trust in the System over a number of years, as well as to strengthen its visibility in a very competitive market.
IECQ Chairman Dave Smith spoke at this year’s opening ceremony, recommending the TAITRONICS shows as an important platform for sourcing electronic components and equipment for domestic and international buyers.
The 37th edition of the trade show, jointly hosted by TAITRA (the Taiwan External Trade Development Council) and TEEMA (Taiwan Electrical & Electronic Manufacturers’ Association) was held on 10-13 October 2011 at the TWTC Nangang Exhibition Hall in Taipei, Taiwan.
LED workshop at TAITRONICS
This year’s show featured seven themed pavilions and several workshops. One of those was the APEC (Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation) Workshop for the Promotion and Application of LED Lighting Technology. In hosting this event, APEC’s primary goal was to allow participants to share experiences in the application and development of LED lighting elements and devices and to discuss future development strategies for the technology. APEC organized this event as part of its efforts on energy efficiency.
Find out more
- IECQIEC Quality Assessment System for Electronic Components
- VDE InstituteVDE Certification and Testing Institute is part of VDE, the German Association for Electrical, Electronic & Information Technologies
- ECC CorpThe ECC Corporation is the US Member Body of the IECQ
- CTECCB Chinese Taipei Electronic Components Certification Board - the ECC Corp representative in Chinese Taipei
- TAITRONICSTaipei International Electronics Show
- electronicaInternational trade fair for electronic components, systems and applications
- APECAsia-Pacific Economic Cooperation