Updating Smart Grid methodology
Experts from industry, utilities and regional standards organizations from 13 countries attended an IEC international workshop
An international workshop was organized in Paris, France, on 8-9 March by IEC TC (Technical Committee) 8: Systems aspects for electrical energy supply. The purpose was to debate Smart Grid use cases to build up requirements from existing practices.
A use case is the methodology used to identify, clarify and organize system requirements. Many requirements can be put together today from existing ones, thus avoiding unnecessary work. Use cases have a role to play in this process.
TC 8 Chairman Richard Schomberg notes that "the necessary new breed of standards on use cases is all about utilities' needs", a reason why major utilities such as the State Grid of China, Kepco (Korea), Tepco (Japan), Enel (Italy), EDF (France) and Wien Energie Stromnetz (Austria) attended the workshop.
Some 50 participants representing major industrial groups and utilities from 13 countries in Europe, Asia and the US (United States) took part in this workshop.
Four major regional and national standard organizations were also represented. They were: CEN, the European Committee for Standardization; CENELEC, the European Committee for Electrotechnical Standardization; ETSI (European Telecommunications Standards Institute) and NIST (the US National Institute of Standards and Technology).
TC 8 will provide the generic use case for all applications associated with electrical energy supply. It will start work shortly to:
- Update IEC PAS (Publicly Available Specification) 62559, IntelliGrid methodology for developing requirements for energy systems, with a view to publish it as a full International Standard.
- Select and publish limited series of generic use cases from the existing use cases (especially within the IEC). This work is to be carried out with all the IEC actors from different TCs.
- Define processes and organize a use cases repository.
The first working meeting will be held in Los Angeles, California, US, on 11-12 May 2011, following the invitation extended by Southern California Edison.
Find out more
- IEC TC (Technical Committee) 8: Systems aspects for electrical energy supply
- IEC PAS 62559IntelliGrid methodology for developing requirements for energy systems
- CENEuropean Committee for Standardization
- CENELECEuropean Committee for Electrotechnical Standardization
- ETSIEuropean Telecommunications Standards Institute
- NIST(US) National Institute of Standards and Technology