Conformity Assessment Board
Title / Task
WG WT CAC
Conformity Assessment Board
Please visit http://wtcertification.org/.
Objectives, Scope, Terms of Reference, Members, Meetings, Chairmen and Secretariat of the Wind Turbine Certification Advisory Committee (WT CAC)
The Certification Advisory Committee (CAC) shall seek to improve the cooperation between managers of industry and its customers and the IEC certification system giving them a measure for strategic planning and strengthening the IEC's relationship with business and national authorities. As the IEC WT conformity assessment develops, the role of the CAC should move from advisory to more of a management role, consistent with the IEC Statutes for IEC Conformity Assessment.
The objectives, scope and terms of reference of the Certification Advisory Committee should be reviewed in the light of two or three years' experience after due consolidation of its work.
1. Objectives of Certification Advisory Committee
- Provide voice and mechanism for end users to provide input into the certification process;
- Ensure that application of international standards are uniform and relevant to the end user and a broader community;
- Bridging the gap between formal engineering due diligence and ad hoc end user due diligence; and
- Harmonize interpretation of existing standards and certification process.
2. Scope of Certification Advisory Committee
The Certification Advisory Committee has an advisory role and reports to the CAB. Its activities are conducted in close liaison with TC 88. The committee shall provide advice to the operating bodies on:
- Harmonization of requirements for documentation for certification mutual recognition;
- Need for amendments to procedures and requirements;
- Interpretation of procedures and requirements for documentation for conformity assessment;
- Oversight of interpretation of the application of conformance requirements;
- Prepare rules of procedure and supporting operational documents as necessary; and
- Review and approval of applications of CBs for the CAC.
The recommendations from meetings of the Advisory Committee shall be made available to accreditation institutes and relevant stakeholders.
3. Terms of Reference for the Certification Advisory Committee
- Meet and discuss interpretation of rules and procedures and formulate recommendations;
- Publish results of interpretations and conclusions regarding procedures and requirement;
- Reporting to CAB;
- Operate in close liaison with TC 88;
- Liaison with participants and accreditation bodies;
- Facilitating mutual recognition and harmonisation of procedures; and
- Propose interpretations of IEC 61400 series to TC 88.
4. Members (representation of stakeholders)
Certification Advisory Committee should consist of a balanced representation of CBs, WT suppliers, End Users (customer & authorities):
- Representatives from certification bodies (members of the advisory subcommittee CB);
- National representatives appointed through national committees (max 1 voting member);
- CB Committee shall consist of CBs meeting the following criteria:
o IAF Accredited Certification body;
o Accredited to IEC 61400-22 (seeking applicants can be observer for one year);
o Willingness to seek Mutual Recognition Agreement; and
o Approved by CAC.
The CAC and all its subcommittees shall meet at least twice per year for the time being. Additional meetings may be held at the discretion of the Chairmen.
6. Chairmen (CAC)
The Chairman is appointed for a period of three years by the CAB, on the nomination of the CAC. He is eligible for re-appointment in the same office for one further period of three years. If at the conclusion of a second or subsequent term there are no new candidates nominated for election to the position, the CAC may by specific resolution, outlining the circumstances, propose to the CAB that the incumbent Chairman be appointed to a further term of three years