What we do
What we do
Technology is becoming more and more complex, and users and consumers are depending increasingly on products whose design and construction they may not understand. CA (conformity assessment) provides the reassurance they need.
What it is
Conformity assessment refers to any activity that determines whether a product, system or service corresponds to the requirements contained in a specification. A specification, often a standard, is a technical description of the characteristics a product, service or object is required to fulfil.
Supporting all forms of CA
The IEC not only supports all types of CA, it also runs four CA Systems, each of which operates Schemes based on third-party conformity assessment certification. Together they establish that a product is reliable and meets expectations in terms of performance, safety, efficiency, durability and other criteria.
Reducing cost and barriers to trade
IEC International Standards and CA help reduce trade barriers caused by different certification criteria in different countries. The IEC CA Systems also help remove significant delays and expense for multiple testing and approval. This allows industry to reduce cost and enter markets faster with its products.
Consumers can be confident that electrical and electronic products are safe to use, energy efficient and environmentally friendly, and perform to expectations.
Visit the IEC CA Systems page for details of their scopes and the various Schemes they offer.
IEC CA Systems
- Conformity assessment - how we workLearn more about the conformity assessment process
- IECEE - websiteIEC System of Conformity Assessment Schemes for Electrotechnical Equipment and Components.
- IECEx - websiteIEC System for Certification to Standards relating to Equipment for use in Explosive Atmospheres
- IECQ - websiteIEC Quality Assessment System for
- IECRE - websiteIEC System for Certification to Standards Relating to Equipment for Use in Renewable Energy Applications