Cooperation Agreement between the IEC and PASC
As part of its Mission of facilitating international trade, the IEC aims to maximize worldwide acceptance and adoption of globally harmonized IEC standards that meet the needs of all major markets. The PASC Charter recognizes the need to strengthen international standardization programmes and the ability of Pacific Rim countries to participate effectively in these programmes. The IEC and PASC have consequently agreed to co-operate in a number of areas, covering especially cross representation and exchange of information.
- To promote the development, use and adoption of IEC International Standards (IS) in response to market demands at regional level, and thus to facilitate world trade
- To increase the participation from the region into the IEC;
- To accelerate the electrotechnical standardization process in response to market demands, especially increasing demands in the region;
- To keep non-IEC members of PASC informed about IEC-related activities and developments, in the interest of transparency.
2 Contact points
At operational level, the contact points for PASC to contact IEC are the IEC General Secretary in Geneva and the IEC Asia Pacific Regional Centre (APRC) Secretary in Singapore, who is also the IEC Asia Pacific Steering Group (APSG) Secretary. For the IEC to contact PASC, the contact point is the PASC Secretary and the PASC Standing Committee (SC) Chair.
3 Exchange of information at IEC Central Office / PASC Secretary level
3.1 In addition to general information about the IEC which is publicly available, including e-tech, the Catalogue of IEC standards and the annual performance report, the IEC Central Office will provide the PASC Secretariat with access to the IEC Web site for the following restricted-access information:
- IEC Directory (names, addresses);
- Databases which provide comprehensive and state of the art information on all technical projects;
- Council documents, which include all IEC Council Board (CB) decisions and reports to Council;
- Standardization Management Board (SMB) documents available to National Committees (NCs);
- Conformity Assessment Board (CAB) documents available to NCs.
3.2 The PASC Secretary will provide the IEC Central Office with access to the PASC Web site for the following:
- Directory of PASC Members (names, addresses);
- PASC Action Plan (work programme of PASC indicating status of progress and target dates);
- All resolutions of PASC and the PASC Standing Committee (SC) concerning standardization and conformity assessment activities.
3.3 Other general information may be made available as the need arises on agreement between the IEC General Secretary and PASC Secretary.
4 Cross representation
- A representative of PASC is invited to attend the IEC Council Meeting.
- A representative of the IEC is invited to attend the annual PASC meeting.
5 Participation in and use of IEC technical work
PASC undertakes to encourage its members whenever possible, based on national needs, to use and adopt IEC IS directly or via national adoptions. In addition, PASC undertakes to encourage its member countries to participate actively in IEC technical work.
6 Implementation of the Agreement
The IEC General Secretary and PASC Secretary are responsible for the implementation of this Agreement. It may be terminated by either party with six months’ written notice.