Cooperation Agreement between IEC and AMN
The IEC and AMN have agreed to cooperate in a number of areas, covering especially cross representation and exchange of technical information.
AMN, whenever possible, recommends to its CSMs to adopt directly IEC Standards as MERCOSUR Standards and recommends to its members, whenever possible, to proceed in the same way with their national standards.
- To promote the implementation of IEC standards in response to market demands.
- To ensure transparency of the standards process and, thus, to facilitate world trade.
- To promote the implementation of International Standards in the field of electrotechnology at regional level.
- To accelerate the standardization process in response to market demands.
- To inform non-IEC members of AMN about IEC-related activities.
2 Exchange of information at Central Office / Executive Secretary level
2.1 The IEC General Secretary will provide the AMN Secretary-Executive with access to the IEC website for the following:
- IEC Directory;
- Catalogue of IEC Standards;
- Databases, which covers the status of all technical projects;
- Inside the IEC, which gives general information on the IEC;
- Public Information, including IEC E-tech and annual performance report;
- Council Documents, which include all CB decisions and reports to Council;
- Standardization Management Board Documents available to National Committees (NCs);
- Conformity Assessment Board Documents available to NCs.
2.2 The AMN Secretary-Executive issues via posting to the AMN website for IEC/Central Office:
- Directory of AMN members;
- The structure of AMN;
- AMN standardization procedures;
- AMN informative material;
- CSM's Directory;
- Meeting Minutes of certain CSM on request;
2.3 Other general non-technical information will be made available as the need arises by special agreement between the IEC/Central Office and AMN Secretary-Executive.
When AMN establishes a CSM or a TC in the domain of activity of an IEC Technical Committee, it shall notify the IEC who in return will arrange for specific data of the equivalent IEC/TC to be transferred to the AMN/CSM or TC. AMN will undertake to convey the results of its standards harmonization activities to the IEC.
4 Cross representation
4.1 A representative of AMN is invited to attend the annual IEC General Meeting, specifically the Council and Standardization Management Board Plenary meetings.
4.2 A representative of IEC is invited to attend the annual AMN Council meeting.
4.3 Where a AMN CSM or TC exists in an area covered by an IEC TC, an observer is permitted in both directions, upon notification to the IEC Central Office and to the related CSM or TC Secretariat and with the agreement of the respective Committee Chairmen.
4.4 The IEC National Committees in AMN member countries are allowed to be represented in the AMN Council.
5 Implementation of the Agreement
The IEC General Secretary and AMN Secretary-Executive are responsible for the implementation of this Agreement. Regular reports will be submitted to both Councils. It may be terminated by either party six months after written notice to cancel.
Glossary of acronyms and abbreviations
- AMN - Asociasión MERCOSUR de Normalización (MERCOSUR Association for Standardization)
- CB - Council Board
- CSM - Comité Sectorial MERCOSUR (MERCOSUR Sector Committee)
- IEC - International Electrotechnical Commission
- MERCOSUR - Mercado Común del Sur (Southern Cone Market of South America)
- NC - National Committee
- TC - Technical Committee