Cooperation Agreement between the IEC and the ETSI
This Cooperation Agreement between the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) and the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) is intended:
- to ensure maximum coherence between ETSI Standards and IEC Standards;
- to avoid duplication of standardization activities between ETSI, IEC and CENELEC whenever possible;
- to facilitate implementation of agreements already reached at the European level and to promote further cooperation in standardization activities.
Agreements reached between CENELEC and ETSI shall be fully respected and shall take precedence over the present Agreement except where it is agreed between the parties that existing agreements should be modified.
- In borderline cases, ETSI shall seek the support of CENELEC before undertaking any related standardization activity with IEC.
- Where relevant, any other appropriate international and regional standards organizations shall be fully informed of IEC/ETSI relationships and shall be invited to be represented at any discussions which may concern them.
- In areas of mutual interest for ETSI and IEC, full and open exchange of information on standards development shall be undertaken.
- IEC and ETSI shall exchange, on a regular basis, programmes of work in areas of mutual interest. Annex A comprises an initial list of relevant work areas, and additional Annexes may be added from time to time by agreement between the IEC and ETSI Secretariats.
- Within the work areas annexed to this Agreement, copies of working documents and drafts from each organization shall be made available to the other organization on request. The dissemination in one organization of the documents received from the other organization shall be strictly limited to the members of this organization. The copyright of these documents remains with the organization originating them.
- Within the work areas annexed to this Agreement, a nominated observer from the relevant IEC TCs to the relevant ETSI TCs and vice-versa may be permitted when agendas contain items of mutual interest. Such nominated observers may be also appointed to meetings of the relevant subordinate technical groups.
In principle, not more than one observer may be allowed in a Committee or subordinate body unless the relevant Chairman agrees.
Observers shall be entitled to participate fully in discussions on relevant work items, and may submit written contributions, but shall have no formal rights, including voting rights.
- Comments from ETSI on relevant IEC new work items, drafts in progress and revisions of standards shall be taken into account to the extent practicable by the relevant IEC technical body.
IEC may also submit comments on ETSI new work items, drafts in progress and revisions of standards under the same conditions.
- ETSI may propose new work items, supported by drafts or outlines, to the appropriate IEC TC/SC.
- In order to avoid any overlap of scope, a mechanism of "parallel processing" will be explored with the aim of accelerating and harmonising common work - for instance, the "fast track" procedures of both organizations.
This agreement may be amended in the light of experience and technical developments. Any difficulties arising shall be agreed wherever possible at the working level between the relevant technical groups. Matters which cannot be resolved at working level shall be subject to discussion between the Central Office of IEC and the ETSI Secretariat, who may propose appropriate action.
ANNEX to the Co-operation Agreement between the IEC and the ETSI
ANNEX A - IEC-ETSI: work areas of mutual interest
1. Maritime radiocommunications (IEC TC80 and ETSI TCs/RES and SES)
- Survival craft portable 2-way VHF radiotelephone apparatus
- Survival craft fixed 2-way VHF radiotelephone apparatus
- Maritime single side-band equipment (MF/HF)
- Digital selective calling
- Maritime alarm signal generator on 2182 kHz (TTA 2182)
- Radiotelex equipment in the MF/HF service
- Radiotelephone fixed VHF transmitters and receivers
- EPIRBs - 406 MHz
- EPIRBs - 121,6/243 MHz
- EPIRBs - L-band
- EPIRBs - VHF
- NAVTEX equipment
- Maritime watch receivers on 2182 kHz
- Maritime mobile satellite earth stations
2. Radio measurement methods (IEC/TC12, IEC/TC100 and ETSI (various TCs))
- SC12C work is applicable to the ETSI-EBU JTC;
- SC12E work is applicable to ETSI TC/SES and STC/TM4;
- SC12F work is applicable to ETSI TC/RES, and to any other TCs with an Interest in mobile radio;
- SC100A work is applicable to ETSI TC/SES, within the context of the CENELEC-ETSI Agreements on TVRO and DTH systems, and to the ETSI-EBU JTC;
- SC100D work is at present covered by CENELEC, but may be relevant to ETSI in the future in the light of developments on broadband networks.
ANNEX A: IEC-ETSI work areas of mutual interest (Revised February 1998)
Work areas of mutual interest in the field of Environmental conditions, classifications, and testing
1. Maritime navigation and radiocommunication equipment and systems (IEC/TC80 and ETSI TCs, ERM & SES)
|IEC/TC80-WG 1||”Shipborne radar/ARPA" work is applicable to ETSI TC/ERM-RP1;|
|IEC/TC80-WG 4||"Radio navigational aids" work is applicable to ETSI TC/ERM-RP1;|
|IEC/TC80-WG 4A||"Global Satellite Navigation Systems (GNSS)" work is applicable to ETSI TC/ERM-RP5;|
|IEC/TC80-WG 5||"General requirements for shipborne radio equipment forming part of the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) and marine navigational equipment work is applicable to ETSI TC/ERM-RP1, ETSI TC/ERM-EMC and ETSI TC/SES;|
|IEC/TC80-WG 6||"Digital interfaces for navigational equipment within a ship" does not seem to have any direct relationship with any ETSI group;|
|IEC/TC80-WG 7||"Electronic Chart Display and Information Systems (ECDIS)" does not seem to have any direct relationship with any ETSI group;|
|IEC/TC80-WG 8||"Global maritime distress and safety system" work is applicable to ETSI TC/ERM-RP1, ETSI TC/ERM-EMC and ETSI TC/SES;|
|IEC/TC80-WG 9||"Integrated Bridge Systems for Ships (IBS)" does not seem to have any direct relationship with any ETSI group;|
|IEC/TC80-WG 10||"Integrated navigation systems for ships" does not seem to have any direct relationship with any ETSI group;|
|IEC/TC80-WG 11||"Shipborne voyage data recorder" does not seem to have any direct relationship with any ETSI group;|
2. Equipment used in radio communications for mobile services and for satellite communication systems (IEC/TC 102 and various ETSI TCs)
|IEC/TC102-WG 1||"Equipment used in radio relay systems" work is applicable to ETSI TC/TM4;|
|IEC/TC102-WG 2||"Equipment used in satellite earth stations communication systems" work is applicable to ETSI TC/SES;|
|IEC/TC102-WG 4||"Data and digital modulation of voice" work is applicable to ETSI TC/STQ;|
"Methods of measurement for analog receivers and transmitters" work is applicable to ETSI TC/ERM-RP11;
"Radiation test sites, stripline coupling devices, and antennas used in the mobile services" work is applicable to ETSI TC/ERMRP11.
3. Transmitting equipment for radiocommunication (IEC/TC 103 and various ETSI TCs)
|IEC/TC103-WG 1/2||"Methods of measurement and safety aspects" work is applicable to ETSI TC/ERM-EMC and ETSI TC/ERM-RP11;|
|IEC/TC103-WG 3||"Transmitters and transposers for monochrome and colour television" work is applicable to ETSI TC/JTC;|
|IEC/TC103-WG 4||"Transmitter interconnection with supervisory systems" does not seem to have any direct relationship with any ETSI group;|
|IEC/TC103-WG 5||"Transmitting antennas" work is applicable to ETSI TC/ERM-RP11;|
4. Environmental conditions, classifications and methods of test (IEC/TC 104 and ETSI TC/EE)
|IEC/TC104||"Environmental conditions, classifications and methods of test" work is applicable to ETSI TC/EE.|