Cooperation Agreement between IEC and EASC
The IEC and EASC have agreed to cooperate in a number of areas, covering especially cross representation and exchange of information.
This Agreement was drafted following a request from EASC, which was approved by the IEC Council Board in June 1998.
EASC will encourage its members to adopt IEC Standards as their national and regional standards.
- To ensure transparency of the standards making process and thus ultimately to facilitate world trade.
- To promote the implementation of International Standards in the field of electrotechnology at regional level.
- To inform non-IEC members of EASC about IEC activities.
2 Exchange of information at IEC Central Office / EASC Secretariat level
2.1 The IEC/Central Office issues regularly to the EASC Secretariat (1 copy in English only, where not bilingual):
- the IEC Directory,
- the Catalogue of IEC Standards,
- Annual Report,
- Council Plenary documents,
- 6 copies of the IEC Bulletin annually.
2.2 The EASC Secretariat issues regularly to the IEC/Central Office:
- Directory of EASC Members (names, addresses),
- Summary of EASC resolutions and activities relevant to the IEC,
- Report on EASC activities on adoption of IEC Standards.
2.3 Other general information will be made available as the need arises by special agreement between the IEC/Central Office and EASC Secretariat.
When EASC establishes a Technical Committee (TC) in the domain of activity of the IEC, it shall notify the IEC who in return will arrange for specific data of the equivalent IEC/TC to be transferred to the EASC/TC. In return EASC agrees to base its work on that of the IEC as far as practicable. EASC also undertakes to convey the results of its standards harmonization activities to the IEC.
4 Cross representation
4.1 A representative of EASC is invited to attend the annual IEC General Meeting, specifically the Council Plenary meeting.
4.2 A representative of IEC is invited to attend the annual EASC Council meeting.
4.3 Where an EASC/TC exists in an area covered by an IEC/TC, observers are permitted in both directions, upon notification to the IEC/Central Office and EASC/Secretariat.
4.4 Where the IEC National Committees in EASC member countries are different from the EASC member body, they are allowed to be represented in the EASC Council.
5 Implementation of the Agreement
The IEC General Secretary and EASC Secretary are responsible for the implementation of this Agreement. Regular reports will be submitted to both Councils. It may be terminated by either party with 6 months written notice.