Cooperation Agreement between IEC and AFSEC
The IEC and AFSEC have agreed to cooperate in a number of areas, covering especially cross representation and exchange of technical information in the fields of standardization and the development of electrotechnology.
Standards that are based on existing IEC publications should be developed and harmonized under the auspices of AFSEC with the assistance of the IEC.
For products not covered by IEC standards and to ensure their relevance to African needs, standards will be developed under the auspices of AFSEC. They will be submitted for consideration by IEC through one or more members of the IEC or of AFSEC, using the normal IEC procedures.
- To promote communication between AFSEC and the IEC.
- To promote the use of IEC standards in response to market demands.
- To ensure transparency of the standards process in order to facilitate world trade.
- To accelerate the standardization process in order to meet the various demands of the market.
- To make rationale use of available resources in standardization activities.
- To facilitate implementation of agreements already reached concerning the nations and regional economic communities (RECs) of Africa.
- To increase the involvement of African experts in the various committees of the IEC.
- To inform non-IEC members of AFSEC about related activities.
2 Exchange of information at Central Office / Executive Secretary level
2.1 The IEC General Secretary will provide the AFSEC Executive Secretary with access to the IEC web site for the following, which may be distributed to all AFSEC members:
- The IEC Directory,
- The Catalogue of IEC Standards,
- Databases, which cover the status of all technical projects,
- “Inside the IEC”, which gives general information on the IEC, and
- Public information, including “IEC e-tech” and the annual performance report.
2.2 The IEC General Secretary will provide the AFSEC Executive Secretary with access to the IEC web site for the following, access to which shall be restricted to the AFSEC President and Executive Secretary:
- Council documents, which include all Council Board resolutions, decisions and reports to Council,
- Standardization Management Board documents (i.e. those documents that are available to National Committees (NCs)), and
- Conformity Assessment Board documents available to NCs (i.e. those documents that are available to National Committees (NCs)).
2.3 The AFSEC Executive Secretary issues via postings to the AFSEC web site for IEC/Central Office:
- Directory of AFSEC members,
- Standardization procedures,
- Reports of Technical Committees,
- Meeting Minutes of certain Technical Committees (TCs) on request,
- Minutes of the Meeting of the AFSEC Council, and
- Minutes of the Management Committee meetings of AFSEC.
2.4 Other general non-technical information will be made available as the need arises by special agreement between the IEC/Central Office and AFSEC Executive Secretary.
3.1 When AFSEC establishes a Technical Committee (TC) or Technical Subcommittee (TSC) that parallels the activity of an IEC Technical Committee or one of its Subcommittees, it shall notify the IEC which in turn will arrange for specific data of the equivalent IEC/TC or SC to be transferred to the AFSEC/TC or TSC. AFSEC will undertake to convey the results of its standards harmonization activities to the IEC.
3.2 AFSEC and IEC will consider the possibility of developing a joint activity programme.
3.3 AFSEC will encourage each of its members to create a fully representative National Committee and keep the IEC informed.
4 Cross representation
4.1 A representative of AFSEC will be invited to attend as guests the annual IEC General Meeting, specifically the Council and Standardization Management Board plenary meetings.
4.2 A representative of IEC will be invited to attend the annual AFSEC General Assembly and Management Committee meetings.
4.3 AFSEC will encourage each of its members to:
- form a fully representative National Committee,
- participate in IEC technical work by participating in the work of IEC at a national level, and
- serve actively as national experts in the work of TCs/SCs of interest to the African region.
5 Implementation of the Agreement
The IEC General Secretary and AFSEC Executive Secretary are responsible for the implementation of this Agreement. Regular reports will be submitted to both Councils. This agreement may be terminated by either party, after giving six months written notice to cancel.
This agreement will be reviewed at least once every two years.
6 Glossary of acronyms and abbreviations
- AFSEC - African Electrotechnical Standardization Commission
- IEC - International Electrotechnical Commission
- NC - National Committee
- REC - Regional Economic Community
- TC - Technical Committee
- (T)SC - (Technical) Subcommittee