Liaison between ISO and IEC
Arrangements for adequate liaison between ISO and IEC technical committees and subcommittees are essential. The channel of correspondence for the establishment of liaison between ISO and IEC technical committees and subcommittees is through the offices of the CEOs. As far as the study of new subjects by either organization is concerned, the CEOs seek agreement between the two organizations whenever a new or revised programme of work is contemplated in the one organization which may be of interest to the other, so that the work will go forward without overlap or duplication of effort. (See Annex B of ISO/IEC Directives Part 1).
The following levels of coordination and work allocation agreement are available.
- Formal liaisons between ISO and IEC committees for normal inter-committee cooperation.
- Organizational consultations, including technical experts and representatives of the Chief Executive Officers, for cases where technical coordination may have an effect on the future activities of the organizations in a larger sense than the point under consideration.
- Decisions on work allocation
- by the technical management boards or, if necessary,
- the ISO/IEC Joint Technical Advisory Board (JTAB).