Thomas A. Edison Award
Recognizes exceptional current achievements of TC/SC and Conformity Assessment officers
Thomas A. Edison
US electrical engineer
In March/April every year, a call for nominations goes out to National Committees (NCs), to the Standardization Management Board (SMB) members and Chairman for the TC/SC nominations and to the Conformity Assessment Board (CAB) members and Chairman for conformity assessment bodies' officers. Candidates may also be proposed by the IEC General Secretary.
Candidates must fulfil one or more of the criteria described below.
TC/SC officers must have
- made an outstanding contribution, within the TC/SC, to the development and promotion of IEC systems and standards;
- been responsible, through the TC/SC, for an IEC activity that has had a significant impact on industry and/or commerce;
- been organizationally or technically responsible for a significant development in quality and timely performance by the TC/SC.
Officers of a conformity assessment system or subsidiary body must have:
- made an outstanding contribution, within one of the systems, to the development and promotion of IEC conformity assessment services or, through a system, to an IEC activity that has had a significant impact on industry and/or commerce beyond the conformity assessment community;
- been organizationally or technically responsible for a significant development in service quality and performance by an IEC conformity assessment system;
- made an outstanding contribution, in accordance with the IEC Policy on Conformity Assessment, to the development and promotion of IEC conformity assessment services outside the IEC systems.
The IEC Thomas A. Edison Awards shall be presented by the Vice-Presidents Chairmen of the respective SMB or CAB boards, at the meetings held in conjunction with the General Meeting, or on another suitable occasion.